Past Programs & Activities
- Craft & Story Workshop
- Gala Dinner 2013
- FolkWorks Concert – February 2013
- Westward Ho! Visualizing the Frontier in Santa Monica
- Gala Dinner 2011
- Preservation of Regional History
- Women in History
Ongoing On-Site Programs
- Group and Classroom tours
- Hands on History workshops
- Book signings
- Commemorative events
- Volunteer projects
Selected Examples of Community Projects
- Initiated and sponsored the first archaeological dig in Ocean Park, which unearthed several thousand fragments of artifacts documenting how the middle class lived in the late-19th century and early 20th century.
- Organized and sponsored the installation of a bust of Arcadia Bandini de Baker, wife of city co-founder, Colonel Robert S. Baker, in the rose garden at Palisades Park. Co-sponsored by the city of Santa Monica and the Bandini and Carrillo families, the bust honors her contribution of the parkland to the city (a joint donation along with the other city co-founder Senator John Percival Jones).
- Undertook a six-year effort that saved the oldest brick building in Santa Monica, the Rapp Landmark, from demolition.
- Participated in the annual Sunset Park Neighborhood Association meeting, produced a video documenting the meeting, and provided a photo exhibit. Provided displays and speakers on the neighborhood’s history.
- Provided research for the designation of the Santa Monica Bay Woman’s Clubhouse as a City Historic Landmark.
- Offered changing exhibitions for over six years at Henshey’s Department Store and First Federal Bank.
- Participated in City of Santa Monica Historic Resources Inventory.
- Helped produce the history book, Santa Monica: Jewel of the Sunset Bay
- Provided over 300 photos for City of Santa Monica documentary on Ocean Park. The premiere of this film took place at the museum.
Selected Examples of Community Events / Outreach
- Annual Preservation and Education Awards Dinner
- Annual Celebration of Black History Month
- Annual Victorian Holiday Celebration
- Participant in events celebrating the history of the city, as well as commemorations of city landmarks (i.e., Santa Monica Pier)
- Participant in a variety of community festivals celebrating local culture
- Contributor of exhibitions and materials on Santa Monica’s history to other organizations and groups, major exhibits at Civic Auditorium & SM Place
- Exhibition for the Santa Monica Pier centennial celebration
- Exhibition at the Morgan Wixon Theater for the Sweet Adelines’ performance, Santa Monica History in Song
- Annual Pioneer Community Picnic co-sponsored by the city of Santa Monica and Community Celebrations for Santa Monica’s birthday
- Sponsored a cake cutting at City Hall celebrating Santa Monica’s 110th Birthday
- Celebration in honor of the late Stan Laurel on the 100th anniversary of his birth. Stan Laurel lived in Santa Monica. Santa Monica Post Office produced a commemorative stamp
- Three major “Community Fun” Festivals at the Santa Monica Airport, with participation by community organizations and total attendance of over 40,000 people (as estimated by the airport director)
- Sponsored an event at the Miramar Hotel celebrating the Bicentennial of Flight with General Jimmy Doolittle and Donald Douglas, Jr. as special guests and speakers
- A salute to Sally Ride at the Miramar – Jet Propulsion Laboratory had a space exhibit along with our photo display
- Annual sponsor of a kettle for the Salvation Army to raise funds for needy families
- Offers a speaker’s bureau and provides speakers to other organizations
- Sponsored a community tribute to the Santa Monica Fire Department on their 100th anniversary and presented plaques to past & present Fire Chiefs
- Held a Community Celebration in honor of Santa Monica’s 125th birthday, cosponsored by the City of Santa Monica at Clover Park with participation from the SM Police and Fire Departments. John Farquhar, grandson of Santa Monica cofounder Senator John P. Jones, cut the first slice of several sheet cakes that were served free to everyone. Entertainment included Mexican dancers from SM College, mariachis, clowns and an antique car show. It was a day to remember in Santa Monica’s history.
- Our “Cities By the Sea” photo exhibit for Santa Monica’s 125th birthday was displayed at a number of locations throughout the community and was view by thousands of people.